Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year



It's amazing the subtle difference in perception as life's occurrences beat at you, like the rock Elijah the Prophet observed had been dented by years of single drops of water pelting its surface. Books I've attempted to read in the past take on an entirely different meaning. Some books illicit understanding and empathy from me, while 10 years ago I would have fallen asleep by the 9th page.

I wish I didn't have the negative experiences. But by the same token I'm terrified for my current state to be altered, for better or worse. Yes, I need to get up and readjust my position in the boat, but why rock it any more? Are the storms not enough? 

Here's to less storms for the new year - or, at least, possession of a better navigation system, or perhaps a better boat or floating device. Or perhaps, two firmly-planted feet on dry, stable land! Where's the fun in that though? Never mind.  Happy New Year.


Robert Frost's A Question:


A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment